Serving an Indian and Pakistani population of more than 400,000 people, Devon is quite possibly the best place in America to shop for Indian goods and sample the delights of this complex cuisine. The only thing more tantalizing than the colorful saris in the shop windows is the smell of authentic Indian spices wafting through the shops of Devon Avenue.
On this tour we will sip authentic Masala Chai tea and nibble our way through several popular Indian shops for a taste of traditional Indian sweets, snacks, crepe-like dosas, delectable breakfast treats and incredible Pakistani barbecue.
In addition to shops and restaurants, we will browse through an Indian market to discover Indian pantry essentials. You will learn how to shop for, store and cook with Indian spices and spend time perusing the produce and chutney aisles. We also visit a shop for cooking equipment, incense and various curiosities such as a Masala dabba, the perfect spice storage box for your newly acquired spices.
And lastly, no Rebecca Wheeler tour would be complete without feeding your mental appetite as well. So count on a big helping of culture with discussions of the history of spices, the regional variations of cuisine within India, the history of the partition between India and Pakistan, and the significance of vegetarianism in India and how you can incorporate these healthy, incredibly delicious foods into your diet.
- Sample a favorite breakfast spread-Halwa Puri, along with refreshing mango lassis.
- Explore an Indian supermarket and discover a whole new world of grains and flours, chutneys and snacks.
- Learn about the significant role of sweets in Indian culture and what makes them so unique.
- Scope out the grills and tandoor style ovens that turn out Chicago’s best Pakistani bbq.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Plentiful tastings are included in the ticket price(come hungry)!
- We keep it personal! The maximum tour group size is 8 people
- Tours last about 3 1/2 hours
- Advance tickets are required (purchase on this site)
- Private tours are available for groups of 2 or more (click here for details)
- Exact meeting location, transportation and parking suggestions will be provided upon ticket purchase.
- Tours are held rain or shine. I’ll send you a weather forecast the week of the tour so you can plan accordingly.
- Tickets are nonrefundable. Rescheduling tour dates is available with 7 days notice, subject to availability.
- If a tour does not meet minimum enrollment, I will contact guests to reschedule or offer a refund.