In the 1970s, during the turmoil of the Vietnam War, immigrants from Southeast Asia began settling in Chicago’s Uptown neighborhood. From the moment they did, their shops and restaurants have helped revitalize the area. And today, they draw Thai, Vietnamese, and Cambodians from hundreds of miles around to shop at the markets and get a taste of home.
Here is a small taste of what you can expect:
- Learn about the vibrant street life and cooking of Vietnam while sampling baguette style banh mi sandwiches and sipping bold Vietnamese iced coffee.
- Visit a bakery that brims with traditional Asian treats and classic French pastries and sample some of Chicago’s best chocolate croissants from a Coup de Monde awarded pastry chef’s bakery right on Argyle street.
- Sample incredible roast duck at an authentic Chinese barbecue restaurant.
- Sit for a spell at a favorite noodle shop for a steaming bowl of Pho, the aromatic beef noodle soup that you customize to your liking with fresh herbs, sauces and various additions.
- Shop markets to learn about varieties of noodles and essential pantry ingredients and gain a working knowledge of the fundamental ingredients used in Southeast Asian cooking things like coconut milk, curry paste, lemongrass and more.
- Take in a taste of culture and heritage as well with a visit to the “Roots of Argyle” mural.
GOOD TO KNOW
- Plentiful tastings are included in the ticket price(come hungry)!
- We keep it personal! The maximum tour group size is 8 people
- Tours last about 3 1/2 hours
- Advance tickets are required (purchase on this site)
- Private tours are available for groups of 2 or more (click here for details)
- Exact meeting location, transportation and parking suggestions will be provided upon ticket purchase.
- Tours are held rain or shine. I’ll send you a weather forecast the week of the tour so you can plan accordingly.
- Tickets are nonrefundable. Rescheduling tour dates is available with 7 days notice, subject to availability.
- If a tour does not meet minimum enrollment, I will contact guests to reschedule or offer a refund.